How To Re-Vamp Your Wardrobe (Without Breaking Your Piggy Bank)
Trends these days come and go so quickly it can be hard to keep up. Sometimes, it may seem as though in order to be frugal we have to either sacrifice style and wear last year’s old trends out again and again, or keep up with the trends and sacrifice your entire paycheck.
However, there are ways to freshen up your wardrobe to fit your ever-changing style without going bankrupt. Here are some simple tips on how to pull it off:
1. Thrift shop. Instead of hitting up retail stores for brand new full-price clothing, shop at your local thrift stores! If you dedicate the time, a lot of these higher-end thrift stores have gems hidden inside that are high quality and high fashion. No need to take out a second mortgage on your house — just hit up these money-saving hot spots.
2. Accessorize. Instead of buying all new clothes, consider instead replacing smaller accessories instead. You will be surprised what a difference a simple change in accessories, like a new pair of shoes or interesting scarf or piece of jewelry, can make. The right accessories can change the entire mood of an outfit. If you feel like you are ready for a change of pace, look for some edgy accessories to make your look.
3. Keep your staple pieces from last season. They will come back in style. Never underestimate the cycle of fashion. Styles that go out of fashion always have a way of circling back again a few years down the line, and some never go out of style at all! If all of you were smart during the end of your Nirvana phase in high school, you held on to your classic A-line dresses, high-waisted skirts, 90’s scrunchies, and worn-out flannels, which have all made a huge comeback this season.
4. Shop in your friends’ discard piles. One friend’s throw away is another’s treasure! We all have that one shopaholic friend (or two or three) that have so many clothes, they are practically drowning in their closets. Take a day to purge your drawers full of old clothes, and bring them to a swap party with your friends. You never know what you might find!
5. Start at the SALE rack. Don’t let the sale be an excuse to buy a bunch of excess clothes that you really don’t need or that you’re not even too crazy about; that’s how you end up with a closet full of unworn clothes. Instead, start with the stuff that’s on sale to look for the items you think you may need or that you simply fall in love with.
6. Scope out the styles at more expensive stores. Ultra-trendy stories like Urban Outfitters and Free People carry some hefty price tags with those cutting edge garments. Scour their racks and online stores, then find their cheaper counterparts from Forever 21 or H&M. The people at these massive less-expensive chain retail stores are smart; they have scouts constantly on the watch for the latest trends from the more high-end, fashion-forward stores, so that they can create the more marketable look for less. Are you in love with a pair of $70 shorts from Urban? Take the time to sift through the massive selection of clothes at Forever 21 — odds are, they carry something almost identical for half the price.
What are your tips to smart shopping? Share your thoughts in the comments below or shoot me a tweet @JenksUOhMeASoda