5 reasons Kenya’s Just A Band is not just any band
Kenyan group Just A Band is probably the most innovative band on the African pop music scene. The members of the group met at university and have been active since 2008, gaining fans and warming hearts across the world. Now, Just A Band is officially on a hiatus to pursue solo projects and exploring opportunities their success as a band has created.
The group formed its trademark sound by fusing electronic, house, funk, disco, and Afropop beats. Just A Band also made their mark with their fun videos and by actively engaging with fans. Their eccentric unconventional style is a gem for nerdy Africans, even for those of us who do not speak Sheng and may miss their social and political commentary.
Don’t agree with us on Just A Band’s creative genius? Here are five examples of how awesome they are.
- Just A Band released the clip that would go on to become Kenya’s first viral music video. “Ha-He” shows the adventures of badass superhero Makmende in scenes reminiscent of Blaxploitation-era films.
- Then, they released “Usinibore” an uplifting song that speaks against the constraints society places on the youth. This is a song to listen to when you feel down and need to be reminded that you can change the world.
- In 2011, Just A Band contributed to a project initiated by the Goethe Institute that brought musicians Berlin and Nairobi together. “Away” not only has a cool beat, but its video is fascinating. From its black and white footage, Japanese and Chinese influences, and the creepy bride at the end of the clip, one is left wondering, what is in that box?
- Just A Band collaborated with fans to produce the crowd-sourced video “Probably For Lovers” that is guaranteed to put a smile on your face and melt your heart.
- And because they are such good guys, Just A Band could not go on break without giving their fans a gift. This gift is “Just A Book,” a book that takes you behind the scenes and into the group as individuals.
What are your favorite Just A Band moments? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below or on Twitter @rafeeeeta