The Do’s and Dont’s of College Studying
Studying is not the easiest task to force yourself sit down and complete, but it is necessary in order to be confident in your grades. Here are some tips to help ensure you are ready for your next test.
1. Just start. Sometimes the hardest part of studying is starting. Just knowing you have to sit down and read a chapter, write an essay, or work on problems for Chemistry can be a huge source of anxiety. Once you start and get in the groove, usually the task at hand is not as bad. Instead of stressing about having to study, just sit down and begin — the sooner you start, the sooner you will finish.
2. Do not study in bed. Your brain associates your bed with sleeping, so if you study in your bed, there is a likely chance you will fall asleep. Sit at a desk or a place that is comfortable, but not too comfortable to make sure you do not fall asleep.
3. Say no. In college there is always something to do, whether it be hanging out with friends or going to a sporting event. It is important you learn to prioritize what events you will attend and which ones you can miss. If you start studying and are invited to something you know you do not have time for, it is important to say no. Chances are that what you are missing out on will not be as satisfying as the good grade you will earn.
4. Set rewards for yourself. As you are studying, set a time when you will take a break. For example, if you start studying at 2 p.m., you can reward yourself with a snack or a 30 minute Netflix break at 4:00 p.m.. Setting rewards for yourself will help you be more productive, knowing that you have something to look forward to.
5. Make a study guide. Making a study guide is not only helpful to look back at, but the act of making a guide helps to cement the information in your brain.
Studying is not the most fun thing to do, but feeling confident when you walk in to take a test is a very satisfying feeling. Follow these tips, and you will be on your way to an “A” in no time!
Have any studying tips that you live by? Let me know in the comments below or tweet at me @whatsthesich